FEATURED POST

Unveiling Singapore’s Death Penalty Discourse: A Critical Analysis of Public Opinion and Deterrent Claims

Image
While Singapore’s Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) maintains a firm stance on the effectiveness of the death penalty in managing drug trafficking in Singapore, the article presents evidence suggesting that the methodologies and interpretations of these studies might not be as substantial as portrayed.

Last exit: The crimes and final words of all prisoners Texas put to death in the last 3 years

Texas Death Chamber
The next scheduled execution in Texas won't take place until at least January, so the book is closed on 2014, with 10 executions carried out this year in the most active death penalty state in the union. 16 prisoners were executed in Texas in 2013, and 15 in 2012.

Texas is also notable for keeping a record of the final words uttered by each inmate as a lethal injection is applied. Other publications have noted this and published some selections, but you rarely see prisoner last words paired with the offenses that they committed. Looking at that combined information is oddly compelling.

Let me be clear: I loathe the death penalty. I would rather every single one of these people were still rotting away in a prison cell somewhere. Capital punishment in the form of life imprisonment without the possibility of parole not only assures punishment, but it also assures that a mistaken prosecution can be undone. Some of the crimes detailed here are horrific. But others are situational, committed in the heat of the moment, and raise a question whether they would be tried as capital crimes in other states.

In the case of low-IQ objections to an execution, we've noted it. But mostly, we've tried to summarize the offenses here as sparingly as possible. It's just the facts, and then the final words, for the 41 prisoners put to death in the last 3 years. A note about some of the final utterances - prisoners will sometimes say something about the feeling of drugs entering their system before they lose consciousness. This is noted in the record as well.

Miguel Paredes, Oct. 28, 2014. Hispanic male. With 2 others, shot and killed 3 members of the Mexican Mafia who showed up to collect drug money from Paredes' gang. The victims were then dumped at a remote location and set on fire. 18 years old at the time of offense, 32 at the time of execution.

To the victim's family, I want you to know that I hope you let go of all of the hate because of all my actions. I came in as a lion and I come as peaceful as a lamb. I'm at peace. I hope society sees who else they are hurting with this. To my loved ones, I hope both victims find in their hearts to forgive me, and I have forgave everyone and I love everyone, pray for my soul and I forgive myself. I love y'all and I'll be waiting for y'all, my brother take care of my family. Take care of my girl, my mom, my sons and all of my loved ones. Brother Wayne and Brother Joe, thank y'all. Jorge don't give up on Luis, I'll be listening. Thank you for everything. Father I commend my soul, please take care and watch everybody I leave behind. I am ready Warden. Father please accept my soul. I am sorry, I love y'all, I am always going to be with you. I love y'all, I love y'all. I love you Father, I love you Father, I love you Savior.

Lisa Coleman, Sept. 17, 2014. Black female. Restrained and starved a 9 year old boy to death. 28 at the time of offense, 38 at the time of execution.

I just want to tell my family I love them; my son, I love him. The girls on the row, I love them and keep their heads up. Tell Darlie I love her, hand in hand. God bless y'all. I'm all right. Tell them I finished strong. I love y'all. I'm done. I love you, Richie. I love you. Thank you, Brad and John, all of y'all. God is good. I love you, Auntie. I'm done.

Willie Trottie, Sept. 10, 2014. Black male. Shot to death his ex-girlfriend and her brother, who tried to defend his sister with his own firearm. 23 years old at the time of the offense, 45 at the time of execution.

Nesha, I love you. I hope this brings you some closure. Titus, if his kids are out there, I'm sorry for your dad. Shan, Charlotte, Baisey, I love you. T.T., I love you. Stay strong. Michelle, Tammy, Damen, I'm going home. Lawrence, I love you. I am going home to be with the Lord. Find it in your hearts to forgive me. I'm sorry, stay strong. Jesus, take me home.

Jose Villegas, Apr. 16, 2014. Hispanic male. In a robbery, Villegas stabbed to death 3 victims: A 24-year-old woman (stabbed 32 times), her 3-year-old son (stabbed 19 times), and her 51-year-old mother (stabbed 35 times). 27 years old at the time of offense, 39 at the time of execution.

(Written statement) I always said that if I even get to this point, I would have already said everything that needed to be said to all of those who I love and have been with me throughout this whole journey. Today, I realized that I can never say everything that needed to be said, because there is still so much that needs to be said. First of all, I love you. My children, my friends, and all my brothers who have shared this experience with me on the row and who continue to experience this without me, keep your heads up. I love all of you. Secondly, I am ok. I have peace in my heart and ready for the next journey. I'm really ok. Last but not least, to my true brother in life, Crazy J, I love you, man. You and Bella have been the best. I'm sorry I couldn't talk with you before all of this, but you know me...You are my bro. I love you. I'm ok. My babies, remember what I said. We'll be together soon. I love all of you. John 14:27. (Spoken statement) Yes, I left a written statement. I do have a verbal statement. I would like to remind my children once again, I love them. Crazy J, I forgot to write a list. Everything is ok. I love you all, and I love my children. I am at peace. John 14:27. I am done, Warden.

Ramiro Hernandez, Apr. 9, 2014. Hispanic male. While working as a hired hand, broke into his employer's house, beat him to death and then tied up the victim's wife and raped her repeatedly. 28 at the time of offense, 44 at the time of execution.

Yes, sir. First I would like to thank God for letting me see my family. I say this with love, I'm sorry. I say this for my family with love and with God, I love you. I'm happy, and I would like to say on behalf of my family, I love y'all. I am happy. I look into my family's eyes, and I see sadness. Don't be sad, I'm happy. I am sorry for what I have done. Be mindful that I am happy till the end. To the family of my boss, I love you. Young people, listen to your parents; always do what they tell you to do, go to school, learn from your mistakes. Be careful before you sign anything with your name. Never, despite what other people say. God is with y'all. God is the only witness that knows what happened that night. I, Ramiro Hernandez, say this with lots of love to young people, listen to your parents please. Live your life to the fullest, you only live your life once. To the prison system, I would like to thank y'all. Thanks to the officers and to the warden that are going to witness this. I say this with a lot of love and happiness. I have no pain and no guilt. All I have is love. Love will win. Thank you God, I am going with you.

Tommy Sells, Apr. 3, 2014. White male. Entered a home with intent to sexually assault a 13-year-old girl, slashed her throat, fatally, and slashed the throat of a 10-year-old girl, who survived. 35 at the time of the offense, 49 at the time of execution.

This offender declined to make a last statement.

Anthony Doyle, Mar. 27, 2014. Black male. Tried to rob 37-year-old Asian woman who delivered a food order to his home. When she said she had no money, he hit her over the head with a baseball bat, killing her, put her body in a dumpster and fled in her car. 18 years old at the time of the offense, 29 at the time of execution.

This offender declined to make a last statement.

Ray Jasper, Mar. 19, 2014. Black male. Rap artist who slashed the throat of 33-year-old man who owned a San Antonio recording studio, then stole equipment from the studio. 19 years old at the time of the offense, 33 at the time of execution.

(Written statement) I just want to make a statement to all my friends, family, and supporters. Thank you all for the love. To the Christian hip-hop community, all the positive brothers I've done time with. To all the people that took the time to write a letter. Thank you. To my family, we are one. To my beautiful daughter, the best thing that ever happened to me. I love you endlessly. I am you and you are me forever. Lastly to God himself....Thank you being a gracious friend to me. I love you with all my heart, mind, strength, in Jesus name. (Spoken statement) I want to say to my family, please take care of each other, stay strong and faithful to God. I thank everyone for supporting me. Christine, I love you. To my daughter: baby, be strong, be positive, have a great life. You know what you meant to me, and I love you. Stay faithful to the Lord. Daughter, I love you, I love you, I love you. May the Lord God almighty in heaven, Jesus Christ see my spirit. Amen.

Suzanne Basso, Feb. 5, 2014. White female. With 5 others, lured a 59-year-old retarded man from New Jersey with promises to marry him. After becoming beneficiary on his insurance, killed him by beating with belts, baseball bats, boots, hands and feet until he was unrecognizable when he was found in a ditch. 44 years old at the time of the offense, 59 at the time of execution.

This offender declined to make a last statement.

Edgar Tamayo, Jan. 22, 2014. Hispanic male. Arrested for robbing a nightclub patron, Tamayo was angry that the arresting officer had not allowed him to leave his keys with his wife. In the patrol car on the way to jail, Tamayo produced gun the officer had missed and shot the officer 3 times in the back of the head. After the car wrecked, he crawled out, still handcuffed, but was apprended soon after. 26 years old at the time of the offense, 46 at the time of execution.

This offender declined to make a last statement.

Jerry Martin, Dec. 3, 2013. White male. During a prison break while he was incarcerated for attempted murder, Martin stole a truck and while driving it ran into the horse being ridden by a female correctional officer, killing her. 37 years old at the time of the offense, 43 at the time of execution.

I would like to tell the Canfield family I'm sorry; sorry for your loss. I wish I could take it back, but I can't. I hope this gives you closure. I did not murder your loved one, it was an accident. I didn't mean for it to happen. I take full responsibility. To my family, we've talked earlier and you know I'm at peace. God is the ultimate judge, he knows what happened. We talked earlier. I love all of y'all. I'm ready Warden.

Jamie McCoskey, Nov. 12, 2013. White male. Abducted a young couple and took them to an abandoned house, then stabbed to death the 20-year-old man and raped the man's 19-year-old fiancee. 27 years old at the time of the offense, 49 at the time of execution.

The best time in my life is during this period. If I had to do again, I would not change a thing. I have been touched by an angel's wings. If I had it to do again, I would change Dwyer's parents suffering, because I know they are. I know that is not going to eliminate the pain, because I have a child. God, I want to say something so bad. I appreciate the people that helped me out. I appreciate the people that helped me out, and uh, know that I love you, Angel and your family and all the people that helped me out. And if this takes the pain away, so be it. I love you. I'm ready to go.

Michael Yowell, Oct. 9, 2013. White male. Caught stealing his father's wallet, Yowell shot his father dead, strangled his mother, then set fire to the house, which exploded, and his grandmother, caught in the house, died days later of her injuries. 28 years old at the time of the offense, 43 at the time of execution.

I love you. To Gerald: you're a zero. I love you Mandy, Tiffany. I love you, too.

Arturo Diaz, Sept. 26, 2013. Hispanic male. In a robbery for drugs and money, Diaz and another murdered one victim by stabbing him 94 times in the chest, and stabbed another victim twice in the face. 23 at the time of the offense, 37 at the time of execution.

I don't know if you remember back in 2000, you were happy the way it happened. You were looking for me yourself and would have taken care of me yourself. I am glad it happened this way. I wouldn't want to see you in my shoes. You would have probably been here, not me. I wouldn't wish this on you. I hope this can bring some relief to you and your family. I have no hate for you. Grandmother, Lilia, and Robert; have hope for me. I am with God. Thanks for being with me and all of your love. Mom, take care of my daughter. Many kisses, Mom. Robert don't forget what I told you, I hope that this serves as an example for the youngsters. Think about it before you make a bad decision. Let's go, Warden. I'm ready.

Robert Garza, Sept. 19, 2013. Hispanic male. A leader of the Tri-City Bomber gang, ordered other gang members to fire into a car, killing 4 females, one of whom the gang suspected of being a witness to their activities. 20 years old at the time of the offense, 31 at the time of execution.

I want to thank all of my family and friends for supporting me. I love you and I'm glad that ya'll are by my side through this whole thing. I know it's hard for ya'll. I love you Jennifer, mom, Jaime, Cory, David. Thank God for you being there for me. It's not easy, this is a release. Ya'll finally get to move on with your lives. Take care of my kids and stay strong, life has to go on. We've all lost grandpas, brothers, and sisters. Support and love each other. Don't fight with each other. I love you.

Douglas Feldman, July 31, 2013. White male. Angry that a truck driver had cut him off, Feldman pulled up alongside on his motorcycle, and fired with a handgun into the truck cab, killing the driver. 45 minutes later, opened fire on another truck driver putting fuel into his vehicle, killing him. Also shot up a car dealership and wounded another man in a restaurant parking lot. 40 years old at the time of the offense, 55 at the time of execution.

I hereby declare, Robert Steven Everett and Nicholas Velasquez, guilty of crimes against me, Douglas Alan Feldman. Either by fact or by proxy, I find them both guilty. I hereby sentence both of them to death, which I carried out in August 1998. As of that time, the State of Texas has been holding me illegally in confinement and by force for 15 years. I hereby protest my pending execution and demand immediate relief.

Vaughn Ross, July 18, 2013. Black male. Ross, a Texas Tech architecture graduate student, shot and killed an 18-year-old woman he had been feuding wth and the 53-year-old man who happened to be with her. 29 years old at the time of the offense, 41 at the time of execution.

Yes, I want to thank my family for supporting me through this. I love ya'll. I don't fear death. I'm fine, I'm OK. To my friends and my loved ones, Miriam, I love you, thanks for being here for me. This is what it is. I know this is hard for ya'll, but we are going to have to go through it. We know the lies they told in court. We know it's not true. I want you to be strong and keep going.

John Quintanilla, July 16, 2013. Hispanic male. With 2 accomplices, was robbing an amusement center when Quintanilla shot and killed a 60-year-old retired sheriff's deputy who attempted to seize his firearm. 25 years old at the time of the offense, 36 at the time of execution.

Yes, I would like to tell my wife that I love her and thank her for all the years of happiness. That will be all, Warden.

Kimberly McCarthy, June 26, 2013. Black female. Entered the house of a 70-year-old neighbor intending to rob her, then stabbed and killed the victim when a struggle ensued. 36 at the time of the offense, 52 at the time of execution.

I just wanted to say thanks to all who have supported me over the years: Reverend Campbell, for my spiritual guidance; Aaron, the father of Darrian, my son; and Maurie, my attorney. Thank you everybody. This is not a loss, this is a win. You know where I am going. I am going home to be with Jesus. Keep the faith. I love ya'll. Thank you, Chaplain.

Elroy Chester, June 12, 2013. Black male. Broke into a home and raped 2 girls, ages 16 and 14, then shot and killed the girls' uncle when he arrived at the house. After his capture, Chester confessed to 2 additional murders. 28 years old at the time of the offense, 43 at the time of execution.

I just want to say I don't want you to have hate in your heart for me, because I took your loved one. I know it doesn't mean anything; I told the truth because I feel like you should know who killed your loved one. God watches everything. Don't hate me, if you do, you'll have to deal with Him later. For me, live your life but don't hate me. I'm sorry for taking your loved one. Ms. Suzy, Susan, thank you for fighting for me in the courts. Thank you for supporting me for all these years. Elroy Chester wasn't a bad man, I knew me. A lot of people say I didn't commit those murders, I really did it. That's my statement. Warden, you can go ahead.

Jeffrey Williams, May 15, 2013. Black male. Stopped while driving a stolen car, Williams shot and killed the police officer who had pulled him over, then fled. 23 years old at the time of the offense, 37 at the time of execution.

You clown police. You gonna stop with all that killing all these kids. You're gonna stop killing innocent kids, murdering young kids. When I kill one or pop one, ya'll want to kill me. God has a plan for everything. You hear? I love everyone that loves me. I ain't got no love for anyone that don't love me.

Carroll Parr, May 7, 2013. Black male. With an accomplice held up 2 men outside a grocery store, then after taking their wallets shot and killed 1 of the men when he said he didn't have any more money. 25 years old at the time of the offense, 35 at the time of execution.

First of all; Shonna talk to your brother. He'll tell you the truth about what happened to your husband. I told Bubba to tell you what happened. Now, my statement to the world: I am in the midst of truth. I am good, I am straight, don't trip. To all my partners, tell them I said like Arnold Schwarzenegger, "I'll be back." These eyes will close, but they will be opened again, my understanding of God is, Jesus has got me through. To my family, I love ya'll.

Richard Cobb, Apr. 26, 2013. White male. With an accomplice, abducted a man and 2 women, shot and killed the man, sexually assualted and then shot and abandoned the women, who survived. 18 years old at the time of the offense, 29 at the time of execution.

Life is death, death is life. I hope that someday this absurdity that humanity has come to will come to and an end. Life is too short. I hope that anyone that has negative energy towards me will resolve that. Life is too short to harbor feelings of hatred and anger. That's it.

Ronnie Threadgill, Apr. 16, 2013. Black male. Shot and killed a 17-year-old black male during a carjacking. 28 years old at the time of the offense, 40 at the time of execution.

To my loved ones and dear friends, I love ya'll and appreciate ya'll for being there. I am going to a better place. To all the guys back on the row, keep your heads up, keep up the fight. I am ready. Let's go.

Ricky Lewis, Apr. 9, 2013. Black male. Entered a home and shot and killed a 45-year-old man, then raped the man's fiancee before stealing her vehicle to flee. 28 years old at the time of the offense, 50 at the time of execution.

Ms. Connie Hilton, I'm sorry for what happened to you. If I hadn't raped you, then you wouldn't have lived. If you look at the transcripts, I didn't kill Mr. Newman and I didn't rob your house. There are 2 people still alive. I was just there. When I saw you in the truck driving away, I could have killed you but I didn't. I'm not a killer. My momma was abused. I'm sorry for what you've gone through. It wasn't me that harmed and stole all of your stuff. If you look at the transcripts you will see. I ask the good Lord to forgive me. I love ya'll; Sheena, my sister, momma, and daddy. Ya'll pray for me, keep up the fight. Get the transcripts, let the truth come out so that I do not die in vain. I thank the Lord for the man I am today. I have done all I can to better myself, to learn to read and write. Take me to my King. I love ya'll and thank you for the love you gave me. I respect all of ya'll. Ms. Hilton. Ok. Let me rest. It's burning.

Carl Blue, Feb. 21, 2013. Black male. Doused an ex-girlfriend in gasoline when she opened her door and then lit her clothes on fire. Also doused a 2nd person who tried to help the 1st victim. The 1st victim died of her wounds. 29 years old at the time of the offense, 48 at the time of execution.

Hey mom and pop. I love ya'll, all of you people in there. You know, ya'll have to come together, you too Terrella. Ya'll work on that. We all have to stand before God at the end of the day. Don't ever think you're perfect, none of us are perfect. God is the only one that is perfect. Jesus is perfect. I did wrong, now I am paying the ultimate price, even though it's a crooked way. I don't hate ya'll. Don't judge, I'm not judging. God has to judge those people. I forgive. Always remember, Romans 12:19 is for real, hell is for real. If ya'll don't have your life right, get it right. We all have to die to get to heaven. Get your life right with Christ; it's coming to an end. I'm talking to each and every soul in this building, in this room. I don't hate nobody, you're doing what you think is your job. God's law is above this law. Hang on. Cowboy up, I'm fixing to ride. Jesus is my ride. Tell my babies daddy will look down on them. Put a "C" in his name for Carl. Tell my boys and tell Tracy to keep on keeping on. Love one another, go to church, change your life for Christ, live your life for Christ. All right, Warden. Terella, I feel it babe, love.

Preston Hughes, Nov. 15, 2012. Black male. Raped and stabbed to death a 15-year-old girl and stabbed to death her 3-year-old male cousin. 22 years old at the time of the offense, 46 at the time of execution.

Yes, Warden. Mom, Celeste: Please know I'm innocent and I love you both. Please continue to fight for my innocence even though I'm gone. John, Cort, Allen, Barbara, Louis, and Anna: Thank you for helping me and trying to save my life. I love you. Give everybody my love. Jason, thank you for your friendship. Thank Laura, too. I love all of you. Bye. Ok, Warden.

Ramon Hernandez, Nov. 14, 2012. Hispanic male. With 2 others, abducted, sexually assaulted, and killed a 37-year-old woman, then buried her in a wooded area in a shallow grave. 29 years old at the time of the offense, 41 at the time of execution.

Can you hear me? Did I ever tell you, you have dad's eyes? I've noticed that in the last couple of days. I'm sorry for putting you through all this. Tell everyone I love them. It was good seeing the kids. I love them all; tell mom, everybody. I am very sorry for all of the pain. Tell Brenda I love her. To everybody back on the row, I know you're going through a lot over there. Keep fighting, don't give up everybody.

Mario Swain, Nov. 8, 2012. Black male. Swain was burglarizing a home when its owner, a 44-year-old woman, came home. Swain killed her with a blow to the head with a tire iron, then hid her body in the trunk of an abandoned car as he returned to steal items from the home. 23 years old at the time of the offense, 33 at the time of execution.

This offender declined to make a last statement.

Donnie Roberts, Jr., Oct. 31, 2012. White male. When his live-in girlfriend refused to give him money, he shot her three times in the head, then fled in her son's vehicle. 32 years old at the time of the offense, 41 at the time of execution.

To all of ya'll over here: Mr. Bivins, Allen, Joey, all of ya'll back there, I am truly sorry. I never meant to cause ya'll so much pain. Not one day has passed that I wish I could take it back. After today, I hope you can go on. I hope this brings you closure. God knows I didn't want to do what I did. I loved your daughter. I hope to God, He lets me see her in Heaven so I can apologize to her. I'm sorry. I'm glad ya'll came. Joey, I am really sorry, Joe. Marjo, you have been there for me for 6 1/2 years. I appreciate that. Take good care of her. I love both of ya'll. I want to say goodbye to all of ya'll. Goodbye. Please tell my daughter I love her. I'll see ya'll. I'm sorry, Joey, I'm sorry.

Bobby Hines, Oct. 24, 2012. White male. Staying at the maintenance man's unit at an apartment complex, used a master key to get into the apartment of the victim, a 26-year-old woman, who he robbed, stabbed with an ice pick, and strangled with a cord. He took a bowl of pennies, some cigarettes, and a gold charm. 19 years old at the time of the offense, 40 at the time of execution.

To the victim's family, I am sure I know that I took somebody special from ya'll. I know it wasn't right, it was wrong. I wish I could give it back, but I know I can't. If giving my life in return makes it right, so be it. I ask that ya'll forgive me. I know God forgave me. I know He has forgiven me for what I did. I don't believe that taking my life will solve anything. I believe that if I was locked up for the rest of my life, that would be more of a punishment. To do this is setting me free. God bless ya'll. I wish there was something I could do. Bernard, thank you. Bill, thanks for being there for me and showing me to the Lord. I give glory to God, I believe I am going home. I love my family. I love everybody. I have love in my heart for ya'll and for my family, we're all victims behind what I did. I wish there was some other way to show I'm sorry. I have a prayer that me and my wife have come up with that I'd like to say. God, hear our prayer. We want to give thanks for this day. I can't do that prayer, that prayer is not right for ya'lls family or my family. Please forgive me. I love ya'll. OK Warden, I am ready. I'm going home. I love ya'll. I'm feeling it.

Jonathan Green, Oct. 10, 2012. Black male. Kidnapped a 12-year-old girl, raped and strangled her and then buried in her in his backyard. Later, when police grew suspicious of him, he dug her up and stuffed her body in a sack behind a chair in his house. 32 years old at the time of the offense, 44 at the time of execution.

I'm an innocent man. I did not kill anyone. Ya'll are killing an innocent man. My left arm is killing me. It hurts bad.

Cleve Foster, Sept. 25, 2012. White male. With a co-defendant, had sex with a woman they met in a bar, then shot and killed her. 38 years old at the time of the offense, 48 at the time of the execution.

Yes, you know I sat in my cell many days wondering what my last words would be: love for my family, grandson, friends. I love you very much. Tonight when I close my eyes, I'll be with my Father. Some time ago I got a letter, I read it, and stuck it in with a bunch of stuff; and I thought to myself, what a cold-hearted person. I was asked about the letter, I spent half the night looking for the letter. A little part of the letter touched me. Over the years I have learned to love. God is everything. God is my life. Tonight, I will be with Him. I am a parent myself. I have so much for this dear lady. I understand where they're coming from, I thought every person was cruel. I love you so, Susan. You know what it is girl, love ya. Maurie, appreciate it girl. Much love to you all. Mrs. Cox, love you. Momma, you are my hero. I wish this world was just like you. Another mother got hurt, as a parent I understand the pain. That letter she wrote wasn't wrong, she was just hurting. She showed God's love for letting me know that love will be there to welcome me home. I love you all. I don't know what you are going to feel after tonight. I love you. I pray one day we will all meet in heaven. A man told me 11 years ago the hardest thing to say is, "I forgive you." Hope one day we all be together again. I love you all: Susan, Mrs. Cox, momma, Maurie, Michael. Grandbabies make the world go around. I love you all. Warden, I am looking to leave this place on wings of a homesick angel. Ready to go home to meet my maker. What a friend we have in Jesus, oh my God, I lay in awe 'cause I love you God. I love you momma. I love you Susan.

Robert Harris, Sept. 20, 2012. Black male. 3 days after he had been fired for exposing himself to 2 women, Harris returned to the car wash that employed him and opened fire, killing 5 people. 28 years old at the time of the offense, 40 at the time of execution.

I want to tell ya'll, know that I love you. Billy, I love you, English, Hart and Eloise. Dwight, take care of Dwight. I'm going home, I'm going home. I'll be alright, don't worry. I love ya'll. God bless and the Texas Rangers, Texas Rangers.

Marvin Wilson, Aug 7, 2012. Black male. Shot and killed a 21-year-old man he believed had snitched on him, telling police he was a drug dealer. A psychological assessment pegged Wilson's IQ at only 61, and his defense lawyers failed to win appeals that Wilson was too mentally diminished to be executed. 34 years old at the time of the offense, 54 at the time of execution.

Bohannon, Peg and Kim, I love ya'll. Son, get your life right with Christ, also your mother. Give mom a hug for me and tell her that I love her. Ya'll do understand that I came here a sinner and leaving a saint. Take me home Jesus, take me home Lord, take me home Lord. I ain't left yet, must be a miracle. I am a miracle. I see you, Rich. Don't cry son, don't cry baby. I love ya'll. I'm ready.

Yokamon Hearn, July 18, 2012. Black male. With 3 others, carjacked a 26-year-old white stock broker, then shot him ten times in the head, killing him. Defense attorneys argued that Hearn was brain damaged from fetal alcohol syndrome and should not be subjected to execution. 19 years old a the time of the offense, 33 at the time of execution.

Yes, I would like to tell my family that I love ya'll and I wish ya'll well. I'm ready.

Beunka Adams, Apr. 26, 2012. Black male. With an accomplice, abducted a man and 2 women, shot and killed the man, sexually assualted and then shot and abandoned the women, who survived. 19 years old at the time of the offense, 29 at the time of execution.

First, I want to let my mom know not to cry, there is no reason to cry, everybody dies. Everybody has their time, don't worry about me. I'm strong. To my family: my old man, my kids, daddy is sorry. I love each and every one of you. I'll be looking for you. To my wife, I love you. The last 2 years have been the best. All my kids, mom, nieces, and nephews, I am proud of all of ya'll. I love each and every one of ya'll. I really love ya'll. To the victims, I'm very sorry for everything that happened. I am not the malicious person that you think I am. I was real stupid back then. I made a great many mistakes. What happened was wrong. I was a kid in a grown man's world. I messed up, and I can't take it back. I wasn't old enough to understand. Please don't carry around that hurt in your heart. You have got to find a way to get rid of the hate. Trust me, killing me is not going to give you closure. I hope you find closure. Don't let that hate eat you up, find a way to get past it. Linda, I love you, I appreciate you. I hate the way things turned out. Ms. Sheri, thank you. To the victims again, I hate the way all of this happened to ya'll. I don't think any good will come of this. I am going to see ya'll again. I love ya'll, be strong for me. Keep your heads up. I came into the world strong. I'll leave the world strong. Warden, go ahead. I am sorry for the victim's family. Murder isn't right, killing of any kind isn't right. Got to find another way.

Jesse Hernandez, Mar. 28, 2012. Hispanic male. Struck with a flashlight and killed a crying 11-month-old boy Hernandez was left to care for, and also injured the boy's older sister. 36 years old at the time of the offense, 47 at the time of execution.

Tell my son I love him very much. God bless everybody. Continue to walk with God. Go Cowboys! Love ya'll man. Don't forget the T-ball. Ms. Mary, thank you for everything that you've done. You too, Brad, thank you. I can feel it, taste it, not bad.

Keith Thurmond, Mar. 7, 2012. White male. After his son was taken away in a custody dispute, Thurmond shot and killed his estranged wife and her boyfriend at their home. 41 years old at the time of the offense, 52 at the time of execution.

All I want to say is I'm innocent, I didn't kill my wife. Jack Leary shot my wife then her dope dealer Guy Fernandez. Don't hold it against me, Bill. I swear to God I didn't kill her. Go ahead and finish it off. You can taste it.

George Rivas, Feb. 29, 2012. Hispanic male. In prison serving life for kidnapping and robbery, Rivas escaped with several others, then later held up a sporting goods store and shot dead a responding police officer. 30 years old at the time of the offense, 41 at the time of execution.

Yes, I do. First of all for the Aubrey Hawkins family, I do apologize for everything that happened. Not because I am here, but for closure in your hearts. I really believe that you deserve that. To my wife, Cheri, I am so grateful you're in my life. I love you so dearly. Thank you to my sister and dear friend Katherine Cox, my son and family, friends and family. I love you so dearly. To my friends, all the guys on the row, you have my courtesy and respect. Thank you to the people involved and to the courtesy of the officers. I am grateful for everything in my life. To my wife, take care of yourself. I will be waiting for you. I love you. God Bless. I am ready to go.

Rodrigo Hernandez, Jan. 26, 2012. Hispanic male. Abducted a 38-year-old white woman from a grocery store parking lot, and sexually assaulted her with his hands around her neck, which killed her. 20 years old at the time of the offense, 38 at the time of execution.

Yes, I want to tell everybody that I love everybody. Keep your heads up. We are all family, people of God Almighty.

Source: Tony Ortega, The Raw Story, December 13, 2014

Most Viewed (Last 7 Days)

California | San Quentin begins prison reform - but not for those on death row

Oklahoma | Death row inmate Michael DeWayne Smith denied stay of execution

Indonesia | Bali Prosecutors Seeking Death on Appeal

Ohio dad could still face death penalty in massacre of 3 sons after judge tosses confession

Iran | Couple hanged in the Central Prison of Tabriz

Pakistan | Christian brothers acquitted of blasphemy; three accusers charged